- 1964 – 1970 Studies and Diploma in Biochemistry, University Tübingen.
- 1971 – 1974 Thesis (Theory of Enzyme Kinetics), Dep. of Prof. Dr. M. Eigen, Max-Planck-Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen. Dr. rer.nat. in Physical Chemistry.
- 1974 –1978 Research Fellow, Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck-Institute of Experimental Medicine, Göttingen
- 1978-2005 Head of Neurochemistry Laboratory, Dep of Neurology, University Göttingen
- 1984 Habilitation for Neurochemistry.
- 1988 Professor for Neurochemistry, University Göttingen.
- 1991-2015 Supervisor and organizer of the CSF Survey, INSTAND (EQAS in Germany and 27 European and Non-European countries).
- Since 2000 Guest lectures, seminars and cooperation with Medical and Physics faculties in Habana, Cuba.
- 2006 Award by El Pleno de la Academia de Ciencias de Cuba, title of Guest professor (Prof. invitado)
- 2011-2014 Member of the Board of INSTAND e.V, Düsseldorf
- 2012 Lectures in the Brasilian Academy of Neurology, in Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia. Cooperation with Neurolife, RJ,
- 2015 Laboratory Course on CSF analysis, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- 2016 Quality assessment for CSF with Controllab, Rio de Janeiro.
- 2017 International Courses on CSF analysis, (Bratislava, etc)
Fields of competence:
CSF analysis, theory of blood-CSF barrier function and CSF flow. Dynamics of brain and blood-derived proteins in CSF. Neuroimmunology, and basic research in chronic neurological diseases. Particular research in CSF analysis in tropical Neurology. Basic research on nonlinear dynamics of biological processes, self organization concepts in biological and medical sciences. (e.g., immunological network and neurobiology of memory). Analysis of aqueous humor for diagnosis of eye diseases.
200 peer reviewed publications e.g. on CSF analysis in inflammatory diseases, tropical neurological diseases, pediatric neurological diseases and investigations of inflammatory diseases of the eye, also editor and contributions to textbooks.